Being never develops. Being simply is. There is no evolution, there is no time involved in it. It is eternity, it is not “becoming.” Spiritually, you never develop; you cannot. As far as the ultimate goal is concerned, you are already there. You have never been anywhere else. Then what is development? Development is only a kind of awakening to the truth that you are. The truth does not grow; only recognition grows, remembrance grows.
Archive for July, 2010
- If we have been pleased with life then we should not be displeased with death, since it comes from the hand of the same master. – Michaelangelo
- Rage, rage against the dying of the light. – Dylan Thomas
- Resurrection does not do away with death. It follows it. I cannot minimize death because I believe in resurrection. – Paul Tournier
- How should I fear death? When I am, death is not; and when death is, I am not. – Epicurus
- Death is not an event which happens to man, but an event which he lives through from birth onwards…As soon as man lives he is old enough to die…Death is a constituent to our being. Day after day we live through death. Man is, in his essence, a being for death. What is the meaning of this death for the individual consciousness? That by interrupting life it makes it complete. Incompletion is a constituent of my being…Death teaches us that life is a value, but an incomplete value. – Martin Heidegger
- You cannot understand the meaning of life, so do not think about it, but live.
- Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk – real straight talk about souls, for life is holy and every moment is precious.
- We turned at a dozen paces, for love is a duel, and looked at each other for the last time.
- It made me think that everything was about to arrive – the moment when you know all and everything is decided forever.
- Once this would have gladdened my heart but because her heart was not glad when she said it I knew there was nothing in it but the idea of what one should do.
The questions which one asks oneself begin, at last, to illuminate the world, and become one’s key to the experience of others. One can only face in others what one can face in oneself. On this confrontation depends the measure of our wisdom and compassion. This energy is all that one finds in the rubble of vanished civilizations, and the only hope for ours.
- James Baldwin
To be nobody but yourself in a world that’s doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. Never stop fighting.
- E. E. Cummings
Gain knowledge: it adorns you, if you are rich, and feeds you, if poor.
- Islamic saying
Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living.
- Miriam Beard
You get a strange feeling when you’re about to leave a place, I told him, like you’ll not only miss the people you love but you’ll miss the person you are now at this time and this place, because you’ll never be this way ever again.
- Azar Nafisi, Reading Lolita in Tehran
Human progress is neither automatic nor inevitable… Every step toward the goal of justice requires sacrifice, suffering, and struggle; the tireless exertions and passionate concern of dedicated individuals.
- Martin Luther King Jr.
Our answer is the world’s hope; it is to rely on youth. The cruelties and the obstacles of this swiftly changing planet will not yield to obsolete dogmas and outworn slogans. It cannot be moved by those who cling to a present which is already dying, who prefer the illusion of security to the excitement and danger which comes with even the most peaceful progress. This world demands the qualities of youth: not a time of life but a state of mind, a temper of the will, a quality of the imagination, a predominance of courage over timidity, of the appetite for adventure over the love of ease.
- Robert F. Kennedy