[Quotes by Zhuangzi 庄子]
The vision of Osho’s work is to encompass both the timeless wisdom of the East and the highest potential of Western science and technology.
When the Shoe Fits
Chu’i the draftsman
Could draw more perfect circles freehand
Than with a compass.
His fingers brought forth
Spontaneous forms from nowhere. His mind
Was meanwhile free and without concern
With what he was doing.
No application was needed
His mind was perfectly simple
And knew no obstacle.
So, when the shoe fits
The foot is forgotten,
When the belt fits
The belly is forgotten,
When the heart is right
“For” and “against” are forgotten.
No drives no compulsions,
No needs, no attractions:
Then your affairs
Are under control.
You are a free man.
Easy is right. Begin right
And you are easy.
Continue easy and you are right.
The right way to go easy
Is to forget the right way
And forget that the going is easy.
- Much can be done through effort but more can be done through effortlessness.
- Whatsoever achieved through will, will always remain a burden to you; it will always be a conflict, an inner tension, and you can lose it at any moment. It has to be maintained and maintaining takes energy…Only which is not a burden can be eternal.
- All effort is born out of the ego, and through effort ego is strengthened.
- One has to become again like a small child, just born, not knowing what is right, not knowing what is wrong, not knowing any distinctions. Once distinctions enter, once you know this is right and that is wrong, you are already ill, and you are far away from reality.
- Buddha saw the beauty of the world after he was enlightened…but it had always been there, but he had wanted it so much he couldn’t see it. It had always been there, but he had been moving so much in the future with desire that he could not look at the here and now…that night there was no desire, no goal, nowhere to go, and no one to go anywhere – all effort ceased. Suddenly he became aware of himself, suddenly he became aware of reality as it is.
- The mind has a tendency to complete everything – not only the human mind, even the animal mind.
- Your mind has such a tendency to complete – anything incomplete gives you tension.
- It is better not to start because once you start it has to be complete. Simply understand the ‘facticity’ of it. You are born. What effort have you made to be born. You grow. What effort have you made to grow? You breath. What effort have you made to breathe? Everything moves on its own, so why bother? Let life flow on its own; then you will be in a let-go. Don’t struggle and don’t try to move upstream, don’t even swim; just float with the current and let the current lead you wherever it leads.
- Don’t do anything that is unnatural. Nature is enough, you cannot improve upon it, but the ego says, no, you can improve upon nature; that is how all culture exists.
- Every child is born in Tao, then we cripple him with society, civilization, culture, morality, religion…We cripple him from every side. The he lives, but he is not alive.
- Look at nature: everything is so perfect. Can you improve upon a rose? Can you improve upon nature in any way? Only man has gone wrong somewhere. If rose is beautiful without any effort on its part, why not man? What is wrong with man? If stars remain beautiful without any effort, without any of Patanjali’s yoga sutras, why not man? Man is part of nature, just as stars are.
- Be natural, and you will flower.
- If you are not constantly making arrangements for the future, then you live here and now…then this moment is all, then this moment is eternity.
- Society is very cunning: it is not only outside of you, it has penetrated within you. That is what your mind is, and that is why all those who know are against the mind and for nature – because mind is an artificial thing, implanted in you by the society.
- You need a compass because you are not confident in life; you need moralities, precepts, principles, Bibles, Korans, Gitas to direct you because you are not confident of the inner force…You have so many things imposed on you that your inner life cannot be spontaneous.
- Centipede’s dilemma (paralysis by analysis)
- We can all speak but public speaking is a fear of many – the problem comes in because you are now self-conscious.
- What is the concern? It is about how others are impressed by you…Everybody is wondering what others are thinking about them, and the same is the case with the others.
- Do! Don’t be concerned about what you are doing. Do it so wholeheartedly that the very doing becomes a bliss. And don’t think of great things; there is no such thing as great or small.
- A great man is one who brings his greatness to every small thing that he is doing…And what is greatness? Nature! Nothing is greater than nature.
- A man of understanding has faith, not belief. Faith is different. Faith means trusting life, trusting it so absolutely that one is ready to go with it, anywhere.
- Life can become a celebration if you know how to live without concern.
- Nature does not flow according to your rules; it has its own rules. You have simply to be with it and it starts functioning…Why do people have to be taught how to achieve orgasm? Animals achieve it naturally without any teaching; no Masters and Johnsons are needed, no Kinsey Report is needed. Animal simply love – love happens naturally.
- A perfect man of Tao does not know himself; you know, because you are ill. Ego is illness, a substantial illness, because you continuously have to remember that you are somebody. This shows that you are in deep ‘dis-ease’.
- Remembering is a mechanism for safety and security.
- When the body is healthy you forget it; you become ‘bodyless’ when the body is healthy…Health is when there is no conscious of the body…The same applies to the mind. When your consciousness is healthy, there is no ego – you don’t know anything about yourself. You don’t go on reminding yourself that ‘I am something’, you simply relax.
- Don’t make distinctions, otherwise you will be divided. Once divided, you are two, split.
- Once you make a distinction, once you make a conflict, you will be divided. A person who is split cannot be natural. Nature exists in unity, it is a deep harmony, there is no conflict at all. Nature accepts everything – there is no choice, it is a choiceless let-go. Don’t choose.
- If you don’t choose to be against anger, then when anger comes you are simply angry and when anger goes, let it go.
- Anger, greed are part of weakness and without choice, you become so alert that your energies are undivided. And when energies are undivided they are so powerful, so tremendous that anger becomes impossible.
- Love is just a means to have sex. That’s why you cannot love your own wife or husband – very difficult. How can you love? The need has disappeared…Your love is just a persuasion.
- Only a man whose heart is at ease, one who has become a unity, is a free man…He will love, he will have compassion, there will be relationships, but he will remain free. No relationship comes out of obsession, it is just his sharing; he shares his being. He has too much so he gives it. And if you accept his gift he feels deeply grateful to you.
- The more you give, the more you find will come; the more you share, the more you grow in it. Bliss grows higher and higher, ecstasy goes deeper and deeper – share it, because unshared, everything dies.
- Easy is right. But for you the case is just the opposite. You always choose the difficult because the difficult gives you a challenge and challenge gives you the ego…Because with easy there is no conquering, the ego cannot feel fulfilled. The more difficult a task, the more the ego feels exhilarated, ecstatic…The difficult attracts because even if you fail, you will achieve a greater ego because you at least tried, while others have not tried at all.
- History takes no notice of persons who are easy and natural…Leave it for fools and mad people, you just stay out of it. Because you cannot have both. Either you can have life, or you can be remembered in history. If you have life, you will be just an easy and simply man doing simple and small things, and enjoying them. You will not create any problems for anybody, nobody will take any notice of you. You will exist as if you never existed. That is what easy is.
- Doing anything, if you feel easy doing it, it is right. If you feel uneasy doing it, something is wrong.
- What is right for you may not be right for somebody else, remember that too.
- With a man who lives naturally you will feel that you are at home he will not force you in any way, he will not try to change you in any way. He will accept you, he will be accepting. Through his acceptance you can learn acceptance, and if you can accept yourself, nature takes over.